Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Video Games and the Gifted Child

I stumbled out of bed this morning greeted by two bright-eyed and bushy-tailed boys, rearin' to get the day started.  They had already done all their chores and were playing happily with a chain of rubber bands, sharing with me Finn's latest trials on Adventure Time.  (cringe)  My eldest, nearing 9 years, announces to me "Be there no video games, be there no life."  I took this as a cue that he was ready for some gaming time.  It's 9am.


yet another attempt at a schedule
Popping in another dark blend K cup, I steel myself for the coming battle, "Okay Guys, let's get some learning done and then you can get to your video games."  Little PJ pipes up, "I already did my math, Mom! Three pages!" (seriously?) and the two of them start piping out with math problems.  PJ says "Mom, what's 15+15+15?" and I say "What do you think it is?" T says "45!" (I'm impressed because he really hated math for a long time.  I query "Wow, T, nice work!  How did you come up with the answer?" He replies, "Well, there are three 10s so that is 30 and then there are three 5s and that is 15 and you add them together."  I am smiling and thinking alrighty, we've definitely passed the 2nd grade. T spouts "See, I don't need to do math, I've got it down."  I reply, "But you're in 3rd grade and you need to master multiplication and division."  He smugly explains to me that multiplication is just addition and that "division is just multiplication backwards."  I am promptly put in my place.  I said, "So what you're telling me, boys, is that you are really quite ready for some gaming time."  Cheers and a one-hour window is assigned.

And this is a very happy house today.

I grabbed my cuppa and headed to the laptop.  I have to write this stuff down.  I've been struggled with the game/learning/life balance in this house, as I have written about before.  I think we found a pretty happy medium. A couple of weeks ago I had dinner with a mama friend, who is starting out her unschool adventure with her two boys, ages 6 and 4.  She explained that she hasn't restricted their gaming at all, because she is confident that it will run it's course and they will move on to new learning adventures and desires.  I had to agree there is logic to that, but my boys and their ability to play for hours on end without reaching boredom, scares the wits out of me.  We know that the T Man has some issues with anxiety and finds his escapes in television and games.  That is where the free-for-all may not work for us.  But what I did get out of that conversation (and numerous others with dad and gifted-mom cohort/coach Amy Harrington) was that perhaps it is just too long of a day to wait for some games, and tossing in an hour during the day might work out well.  It has.  So instead of having to work all day to get to 4:00 pm game time, the boys now have an hour or so thrown in early in the day which seems to satisfy that eternal craving. 
 
Buffalo Mama just posted this week with similar concerns for her son, titled "But What If All The Kid Wants to Do is Play Video Games?"  She has nailed it.  Video games can become everything to our gifted anxious children, but life simply is not one big game.  Life is full of obligations, such as brushing your teeth and washing dishes (or maybe even knowing how to write a decent English sentence so as to not embarass yourself in your professional future). My kids have to earn their screen time, just like their dad has to go to work all day before he can come home to play with them, and just like I have to clean, prepare food, do laundry, etc before I can sit down and enjoy my Kindle.  While allowing kids to follow their passions is very important and we should feed those passions, we do have to be the Parent and teach them the self-control and life skills they are going to need in the real world.  It ain't always easy, but I know in the long run it will be worth it.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, excuse me while I go do some parenting... which will for the next hour or so may look a lot like doing school work.... ;-)

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, do I ever feel you on this one! My boy *loves* the mornings when I let him have a little bit of screens before breakfast. Really, I like those mornings too. Finding the balance... that's tricky stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just an fyi my son is now 14 and when he was 7-11 all he wanted to do was game too. By 13 I noticed he started to grow out of it just a bit and now he spends more time watching educational videos on youtube then games. He says the games are getting boring. Isn't that great news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooooo. I needed to read this today. Thank you.

    I am finding myself saying a lot of NO - NO - NO to screen-time requests... and maybe I need to loosed the reins just enough to use it as motivation for them. I look forward to following your journey.

    Amber.
    http://adventuresofarainbowmamamama.blogspot.com.au/


    p.s. I redirected from The Gifted Homeschoolers FB page. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, we are fighting, fighting, fighting this battle as well. Our 8 year old gifted son wants to sit around and play video games all day long. I struggle with letting him do it before he is finished with schoolwork because it can devolve into quite the battle to rein him back in to start/finish school. Then, when his friends are finally home from school, he has become so wrapped up in them that he doesn't want to stop and go play outside.... which really worries me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am dealing with the same thing with my 6 year old son. I use an egg timer.....he gets a set 45mins a day and must choose between Wii and computer. He can earn more time by reading a chapter book (30 mins = 10 mins of extra time) or learning on the computer ie math or we just started him learning coding, 30 mins = 15 mins of extra. We keep a log to keep track( of course he knows with out the log.) So far it has been a pretty good solution. Depending on the morning and the rounds of case pleading, I may relent and let him get on between 7:30-8:30 am but I try and not allow electronic stuff until 9 am. Only the mother of a gifted child can truly understand the word tenacious....:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana, What is new with you and the boys? It's been so long since you posted. How is T-man doing?

    ReplyDelete